JUST TRYAN IT raises money for families with children being treated for cancer. In addition to the cost of treatment, families face many indirect costs related to a cancer diagnosis. These indirect costs include: travel, lodging, meals, childcare costs as well as special foods, clothing and equipment.
The race is open to children between the ages of six to sixteen. Kids are the ones training, raising money, and racing in honor or in memory of children affected by childhood cancer. In fact, some of the racers are past patients or ones whose lives have been touched directly by this illness.
While every child who crosses the JUST TRYAN IT finish line is a hero in their own right, it is the children whose lives have been forever changed by cancer that make up the heart and soul of JUST TRYAN IT.
Here are some snapshots of some of the inspiring stories coming out of our event:
- Scott Lenfesty (http://justtryanit.com/story/scott/) Scott was diagnosed with leukemia at age 6. Now cancer-free at age 10, he's racing in his first triathlon. Scott lives in Morrisville, NC and was treated at UNC Hospital.
- Lindsey Templeton (https://donate.justtryanit.com/fundraise?fcid=624328) Racing in memory of her friend, Lily Blackmen. Lindsey and Lily were treated together at Brenner's Children's Hospital in Winston-Salem, NC.
- Adrian and Peyton Dimitry They are racing in honor of their younger brother, Judson, who was diagnosed in the fall. Judson is being treated at UNC. They have cousins and friends also racing in his honor.
- Alex Werden (http://justtryanit.com/story/alex-star-chapel-hill-home/) Alex is a nationally-competing triathlete, a West Point cadet, a Cancer survivor, and a graduate of Chapel Hill High School. Alex was diagnosed with Cancer at age 19 and was treated at UNC Hospital. He will be present on race day to inspire the young triathletes and share his story.
- Stephen Albright (http://justtryanit.com/story/stephen/) Stephen was diagnosed with Cancer in the fall of his freshman year at UNC. A member of the UNC football team, he has found a voice in helping others going through Cancer and will be at JUST TRYAN IT on May 1st.
- Ryan Darby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weVzrJUqXb0) While not a NC native, Ryan is the inspiration behind JUST TRYAN IT. Age 12, Ryan was recently named the national youth ambassador to Hyundai Hope on Wheels Foundation. Ryan will be at our event on May 1st.
- William and Maddie Harrison (https://donate.justtryanit.com/fundraise?fcid=630639) Ten year old William will be racing with his 8 year old sister, Maddie, at our triathlon. Maddie was born with Cerebral Palsy. William will swim the pool while pulling Maddie in a raft; he will bike with her in a trailer; and pushing his sister through the run. William and Maddie are Chapel Hill residents.
Please don't hesitate to contact us.